Why choose a Colne Catamaran over other cats?
By Colne Catamarans
7th October 2015
Andrew Craig, the designer of the Gemini Workboat range, runs and designs the Colne Catamarans explains.
Hull Design. Why choose a Colne Catamaran over other cats?
Andrew Craig, the designer of the Gemini Workboat range, runs and designs the Colne Catamarans. These smaller cats are designed with little rake on the stem, a very full forefoot and a full hull dead rise, this gives a Catamaran hull the required full buoyancy forward ALL Catamarans need when heading into weather, or they will slam on the bridge deck badly.
Designed for comfort and safety
Many designs on the market have a finer entry bow and weak forefoot to improve speed and this does work to a degree but only in very calm conditions, however as soon as any weather is experienced, the bows bury into the seas and bridge deck slamming starts, which reduces speed and sea keeping dramatically. With the full hull Colne Catamaran design, some light slamming is experienced on the hulls as they are so full, but this is far more acceptable for maintaining average speed, fuel efficiency and comfort.
Test the Colne catamaran in poor weather
These Catamaran hull design rules apply world over, so if any boat designers or builders suggests their Catamaran s do not slam in any way, we suggest there boats are tested out in poor weather conditions, so this can be experienced first hand before any purchase is made.
Colne catamaran in the making
The company has years of experience making Gemini workboats and Colne catamarans
Contact Colne Now
[Contact Andrew Craig now to discuss your requirements]email@example.com
or phone 0044 (0) 1206 619 645
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
If you found this article interesting please share it with others who may like it.
Marine equipment and services
- Stainless steel hanging block £250 +VAT Lostwithiel Cornwall
- Heavy duty stainless steel davit arm £300 +VAT Lostwithiel, Cornwall
- IP68 HEAVY DUTY LED FLOODLIGHTS 90-230 VOLT AC £299 Scarborough
- CRAB POTS FOR SALE POA +VAT Devon
- NEW!! AAA 72W CREE LIGHT BAR FLOOD £70 +VAT per unit Neyland
- Herring bait £500 per tone £500 per unit Suffolk
- Gilson winche €5,990 Bordeaux
- Live Brown Crab, Lobster, langoustines, and whelks required East Coast England
- Live or cooked Brown Crab and Lobster for sale east coast England POA East Coast England
- NEW !! AAA DUAL ROW CREE LIGHT BARS 234W or 288W with 316 brackets £200 +VAT per unit Neyland
- Gardner Engine €1,000 County Cork
- Deck Machinery for sale POA Clogherhead
- Hydraulic hoses and fittings 24hr service POA Brixham
- Generators Doosan and 2 fords Offers +VAT Bridlington
- Aaa 320w led spot light with 316 stainless steel bracket £200 +VAT per unit Cardiff
- SECOND HAND 375/15T ASSEMBLED SEAQURE HOLD SUPER HIGH HOLDING POWER ANCHOR £926.99 +VAT per unit ono Inverness
- Wanted Ireland
- Mackerel Traces - Small Fry & Standard Fry £3.60 +VAT Looe, Cornwall
- Yamashita Totto Sutte Super Bright Squid Jigs £4.95 +VAT per unit Looe - Cornwall
- Self shooting longline system £2,000 ono Guernsey
- Jabsco Pumps and Bilge Pumps POA Nationwide
- SM ENGINEERING SOUTH WEST LTD POA Teignmouth
- Pukka Trawl A1 Doors £600 ono Portsmouth
- Furuno Navnet vx2 plotter £500 ono Portsmouth
- Net haulers, net flakers pot hauler, capstan Newhaven
- Raymarine autopilot follow- on tiller steer control head (cost £576.95). £450 Looe
- Osprey Net Mending Needles POA +VAT Nationwide
- SP Blair trawl winches POA Dunbar
- Mussel grader/declumper £2,250 ono Llanelli
- Seawinch pot/net hauler for sale £350 Mistley
- New Mickey Whelk pots with cast iron base £30 +VAT per unit Exeter
- Trawl nets £250 +VAT Hooke Dorset
- Side entry parlour pots POA +VAT Goole
- Wanted - Thermostat for Kelvin TASC8 Offers Howth