The Shipping Forecast 150 years old
24th August 2017
Shipping Forecast 150 years today
The shipping Forecast started as a public service 150 years ago 24 Aug 1867 It is the longest running weather forecast in the world The forecast is loved by many not only mariners but thousands find comfort in just listening to the distinct way the forecast is read
The shipping forecast is broadcast on radio 4 four times a day
Tune in to the BBC Radio 4 Shipping Forecast for reports and forecasts of weather for the seas around the coasts of Britain and Ireland.
There are four broadcasts per day:
0048 transmitted on FM and LW. Includes weather reports from coastal stations at 0051, an inshore waters forecast at 0053 and further weather reports at 0055. The broadcast finishes at approximately 0058, and is followed by a short goodnight message and the closedown of the station for the night.
0520 transmitted on FM and LW. Includes weather reports from coastal stations at 0525, and an inshore waters forecast at 0527.
1201 transmitted on longwave only.
1754 transmitted on longwave only on weekdays and on both FM and Longwave at weekends.
For a further explantation of the Shipping Forecast CLICK HERE
for other FAFB links to weather forecasts CLICK HERE
Met office history of the shipping forecast Click Here
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
If you found this article interesting please share it with others who may like it.
Marine equipment and services
- Trawl doors, whelk tables, fish washers, POA Nationwide.
- Pukka Trawl Doors POA Nationwide.
- Refurbishment and Re- Fitting POA Tbc
- Onan 11 KVA marine generator for sale £6,500 ono Plymouth
- AAA 225w Cree spot light 12-24v with 316 stainless steel bracket £180 +VAT per unit Cardiff
- Full cuttle rig POA Castletownbere
- MAN V8 800hp D2848 Marine Diesel Engine with Twin Disc Transmision £22,500 per unit ono Frejus
- Scallop gear complete set Offers Newlyn
- Good Gardner 6LXB POA UK
- Gardner 2UC gearbox 3:1: NEW! POA UK
- 12-24 VOLT DC FANS £470 +VAT Yorkshire
- 144 WATT LED FLOODLIGHTS £100 +VAT per unit North Yorkshire
- 72 WATT LED FLOODLIGHTS £65 +VAT per unit Yorkshire
- SUPER POWER LED SEARCH/FLOOD LIGHTS 250 WATT £185 +VAT per unit North Yorkshire
- HEAVY DUTY 500 SUPER SPOTS £275 +VAT per unit North Yorkshire
- seat base £50 Brighton
- Anchors, End Weights and Bongo Crab Keeps Offers Helmsdale
- Aaa 316 stainless steel deck lights £120+ vat complete with led tubes £120 +VAT per unit Cardiff
- Navigational equipment Offers Stratford- Upon- Avon
- MWM Engine and gearbox. Offers Bridgwater
- SCANIA DSI 11 MARINE ENGINE FOR SALE POA +VAT Great Yarmouth Norfolk UK
- JET DRIVE £2,200 Glasgow
- SPENCER CARTER NEW 2 TON 20" Hydraulic crab pot hauler POA Spencer Carter Cornwall
- Potting blocks wear plates, all hydraulic spares fast delivery POA Spencer Carter